Tuesday, October 16, 2007
JOBS, continuation
I have been officially offered 3 jobs: ESPN, Travelers, and The Hartford. I declined ESPN a couple weeks ago after a large internal debate because it would have been a far drive and only contract work for 1 year. Then, i sat in wait for 2 very long weeks for Travelers and The Hartford to get back to me and hopefully offer me a job. The Hartford was my top choice, but I wasn't theirs. Travelers came back to me within a week of my second interview and offered me a job, paying me an extra 2k annually than originally offered because I stood up for myself this time around. (Travelers is a great company, but I have to pay for my own parking in the city, which will cost me 2k per year.) The next day, The Hartford finally came back and offered me a job. After many, many, many tears, I have decided to work for Travelers. I start on Monday, the 29th, and I am excited to have a stable position close to home. It was very difficult turning down the offer from The Hartford as they were my first choice for the past 5 long weeks. But in the end, it felt like Travelers was the job for me, despite a less flexible work schedule and a costly parking experience. I felt really comfortable at The Hartford and they have a wonderful flexible schedule that would have allowed me to work from home on occasion. But in the end, I realized that The Hartford didn't want me as much as I wanted them, and being 5 months pregnant, I needed to be in a place where I could "make my case" so that my pregnancy wasn't seen as an issue. And the benefits at Travelers is kick ass. It starts day 1, I get an awesome maternity leave, and I get 20 days off a year, which is unheard of for the first year of working. So I'm very excited, and very nervous. New jobs always suck at first but it's still exciting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment