Friday, November 9, 2007

Travelers

I've been at my new job, working for Travelers Insurance in downtown Hartford for 2 weeks now. It's a large company, approx 33,000 employees. What does this mean? STABILITY! yeah! It also means that I have a LOT to learn and many subject matter experts available to me for many, many, many projects. What do I do here, you ask? It's actually kind of cool. I basically build Computer based training courses on safety because I'm in the Risk Control business section of Travelers. My department is responsible for building CD-Rom e-learning courses that are self-paced so that our clients can gather information based on safety guidelines and procedures they should follow at their business. Sounds boring, but I've learned a lot about fire safety and water leaks and biohazzard polutants in just 2 weeks. Our clients can take these courses to lower their insurance premiums with us. My dept. also builds internal training to keep Fire Investigators and other "field" officers up-to-date on the latest guidelines and restrictions out there in many facets of our insurance industry. OK, that's boring to read, I know.

It's been a crazy transition. Going from working at home in my sweatpants to finding maternity clothes that are dressy enough for the office environment here. Going from driving no where to driving in downtown Hartford, parking in a parking garage and then walking a couple blocks to work. From eating cereal for lunch at 2 pm to preparing my lunch a day ahead of time and making sure I pack enough nutrients for my growing baby boy.

And the job itself is SO different. There are So many resources here and projects are completely really fast. I'm used to doing everything myself and being on ONE project for 3-5 months. Now, I have to manage my projects, dividing up the work between graphics and audio scripts and videos and development. Can you believe my group goes out to client sites and takes video on, let's say, "the proper way to load a flatbed truck"? How odd and cool is that? There are so many departments here that I can be here 15 years and still use the sentence "what do THEY do?".

No comments: