Thursday, May 24: If you remember or read my last post, I mentioned something about "not caring what went wrong for my wedding as long as we had Grace and Austin". Well, that came back to haunt me. But compared to the drama of our honeymoon, the few days leading up to our wedding, and our wedding day were perfect. Busy, hectic, but perfect in comparison.
Thursday was so busy, it was a blur. Waking early after very little sleep, we got the kids fed, showered, and dressed. We'll use the word "fed" lightly here because Grace wanted nothing to do with her cereal because that darn Tootsie roll was baiting her. Finally, after a small bribe with yogurt, I gave in. Half that Tootsie roll was gone in minutes. A girl after my own heart. Then Dad was on grampa duty. Scott and I hurried to the Town Hall to get our marriage license, while he watched Grace and Austin. Most people apply for it early, but we couldn't get to Van Buren to do this, so as per usual, it was last minute hoping and praying. Within minutes, our license was handed to us, unsigned, but ready to go. Then it was off to Caribou. We had a wedding cake to finalize and pay for. Mrs. Hanson was excellent and our cake was going to be great, I was sure. Then, off to the DJ to finalize songs and hopefully teach our DJ the correct way to pronounce Girouard. That trip proved worthless because on our wedding day, Scott's parents were called Mr. and Mrs. Jared. Too funny! At noon, we rushed back to Van Buren so I could have lunch with Mom at school. Grace came along and fell in love with mom's "day care" room...TONS of toys in there. I let Grace play for a while, and then we headed back to the house for much needed naps. Grace was exhausted. A child that could care less about TV or movies, but believe it or not, LOVES the food network and her Emerile. We turned on Emerile and Grace rested for a bit. But as things go, she was too excited to stay still for too long. By late in the afternoon, the weather was starting to kick in hard core. Now for all you heat lovers out there, I know you won't understand where I'm coming from, but 90 degree heat in Van Buren is unthinkable and unbearable. It's humid and sticky and my parents have no form of AC in their house in town. It was hot, and starting to get miserable for Scott and I. We are not huge fans of the humidity that the East Coast can bring. Thursday night brought many travelers into Van Buren. The first being Holly and Matt. They met us for dinner at the Tastee Food. My alma mater ice cream scooping days. We had a great meal and ice cream (who cares about the diet now!) and the kids LOVED the play set. Leslie and John joined us, which was great. After dinner, it was a mad house. First, the Aunts came. We rushed off to Tante Omerine's house to see them all drive in. Tante Rolande, Tante Charleen, Tante Rena. Then Tante Dette, Tante Rob and Tante Georgine. It was so great to see them all! They got to meet Austin and Grace, and even Matt and Holly joined the festivities. Matt was mistaken to be Scott's brother. I guess dark hair and broad shoulders are enough to make two men seem related. It was funny. Scott's real brother Paul couldn't look less like Scott, they are polar opposites. But then, I often thought I didn't look much like my brother either, with his green eyes and olive-toned skin. At least we have the same million dollar smile, right mom and dad!! After a quick round of hugs and introductions, it was off to the motel to check and see if Scott's Mom and Dad had arrived. Timing couldn't have been more perfect. They pulled in the parking lot right in front of me. If I could capture the look on Andy's face when he got out of the car, i would be a millionaire. Priceless! Needless to say, I owe Andy and Janet a few thousand favors for making the long, long journey to Van Buren with Scott's mom and dad. They looked tired and ready to stand, but they arrived in great form and ready to party. They were good sports to say the least. After yet another crazy mishap with the motel's reservations, we got them situated in joining rooms on the second floor. Then, we brought them back to my parents' house for drinks and some chatter. But even at 10 pm, the day was not over. We quickly put the kids to bed, and then ran back to the hotel to meet Scott's father and step-mom Diana at the motel. They had just arrived from a 1500 mile trip, coming from southern Indiana. You can't get more dedicated than that for sure. It was so wonderful to see them again and to have them at our wedding. It meant the world to us and Scott and I will forever cherish that. We got them settled in and then finally, Scott and I returned home and went to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment