Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Our wedding day

I'm not sure if I can even describe this day. For most of you married folk, you don't need me to describe how I felt, the emotional rollercoaster ride the day took me on, or the complete joy I feel at being married to the most amazing partner in life. I am blessed. I am truly happy. And I love being Jaime Girouard. But for my own selfish reasons, I need to put in words the events and emotions of my wedding day. I actually slept well the night before. From 11 pm until 7 am, I slept soundly. It was the first decent night of sleep in a week. I checked the temperature outside first. Hoping and praying desperately for a temperature somewhere in the 70's, I was surprised to find that the air finally cooled off. The wind was gusty, but refreshing and welcomed. The clouds were dark, almost black, and the sun rising behind the clouds made the sky seem poisonous. It looked like there was a tropical storm breezing in, but to my utter amazement the clouds broke and within an hour the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The weather was perfect. Windy, but perfect. Ironically, I wasn't nervous at all. I had a schedule and things to get done, and before everyone arrived at 8 am, I needed to get all my stuff packed and ready to go so that Scott and the kids and I would be ready to depart the next day on time. Joy came over to wish me luck and to give me hugs. It was great to see her as this long-time friend of mine and I hardly ever see each other or chat with one another. Mom and I tried desperately to get some quality time in but that didn't happen. Too many things to do, and Dad was off completing his "daddy-do-list" which I created for him the night before. By 8:15 am, my mom's room was buzzing with hairspray, hot rollers, hair pins, and anxiety. I knew my hairdresser was going to die when she noticed my hair was cut short and the up-do we had practiced and agreed upon 2 months earlier just wasn't going to work. But also for the past 2 months, I was worried about my veil. A worry I'm sure not many brides worry about to the length that I did, but well, that's just me. I knew my veil would give me grief and my hairstyle was the one thing that could make or break the annoyance of that 50lb veil. (slight exaggeration, but still, it was heavy) Holly's hair was up in hot rollers quickly and then Teri was in the hot seat. Knowing the photographer would be arriving by 11:30 am, Teri and Holly got into their dresses. So beautiful. I loved the red color of the dresses and all my bridesmaids looked so beautiful, each in a style that fitted them best. Finally, with my hair in a style that suited me best, perfect with pearls that were borrowed and added the perfect touch, I was ready to get into my dress. The morning went by so fast, it's a blur that we were all able to get ready on time. Dad was kicked out of his bedroom, so he got dressed in Todd's old room. Todd came in and got dressed at the house too. It was so wonderful to have Todd there. There are memories in my life that I tuck away in a special place. Having Todd at the house while I was getting ready on my wedding day, was one of those special times. He gave me a sense of calm. He didn't have to say anything, I just felt his brotherly unconditional support, and he'll never fully know how much that meant to me. All of a sudden, it was 11:30. Where did the time go? I had make-up to put on and a bridesmaid literally stuck in the mud. I didn't panic. Thanks to long-time neighbors and close friends of my family, my bridesmaid was saved and on time. Her husband and 4 kids, on the other hand, were left behind to find their way out of the ditch. It was a full house. Devon was perfectly handsome and darn cute holding his ring bearer pillow. Grace. Goodness! She was dropped off at 10 am and was so quiet. Very unusual for Grace! She was bright-eyed and a bit lost in the sea of women, make-up, hair-dos, and lots and lots of dresses! Her hair, 10 inches shorter than I've ever seen it, was so darn cute in curls and a tiara. She couldn't wait to get in her dress. She probably asked me 5 times if she could put it on. But Grace is a dirt magnet, god love her, so we waited until the very last minute. Despite the tropical storm-like winds, we headed outside for pictures. Mom, Dad, Todd, Devon, Grace, and all my bridesmaids. By 12:15 we were done and it was a waiting game. A few sips of water and then it was time to put my veil on and head out. Holly played chauffer as we all hopped into my Aunt and Uncle's new minivan and drove the .25 miles to the church. The butterflies started to stir. We walked into the church and hid in the "bride room" and then the nerves kicked in full force. Holy shit?!?! Was I really getting married? Now? My maid of honor started to cry. I started to cry. I made my Dad start to cry. OK, had to get a hold of myself. Deep breath. The song started and Grace and Devon made their way down the aisle. They were amazing. Devon was so handsome and so well-behaved for a 4-year old. Then Stef, the Leslie, then Katina, then Holly. Slowly, but surely, I was losing all my girl-support. Then Teri was walking down the aisle. It was just Dad and I. I still couldn't quite believe this was my moment in time. I had been waiting for this day, for this moment for a long time and here it was and I still couldn't believe I was here, in my church, getting married. Then my song played. It was time. I grabbed hold of my Dad for dear life and walked down the aisle, determined not to blow a gasket. I saw Scott approaching the alter. His Scottish Tartan pinned to his right shoulder. He was handsome and proud and secure. And he wore his glasses for me. And then, the nerves went right out the door as my organist played and played and played and played. Dad and I were done walking. Dad was waiting for the sign from the priest so he could give me away. Scott was standing to my right, waiting patiently to take my hand. But we were frozen in place as we waited and waited for my organist to finish the song. And we were all watching the priest intently as he kept making small gestures, with his eyes and his head movements, towards the balcony where the organist was. But there was no stopping my organist. It was hilarious! And then finally the music stopped and my Dad gave me away, and my Scott took my hand and led me the rest of the way to the alter. And then the priest welcomed us all to the ceremony. And I was introduced as the "son" of Rudy and Nancy Ouellette. HAHAHA! And so the ceremony went on. Scott and I exchanged our own personal vows. His were SO much better than mine. He even memorized his vows. I, on the other hand, had Teri hold mine for me, and then pass them off to me like a school girl writing notes in study hall. And yes, I will admit this only once, Scott completely "out-wrote" me. His vows were thoughtful, compassionate, sincere and genuine. Then we exchanged rings and I forgot all the words I had to say. HAHAHA! Then Grace, Austin, Scott and I all lighted the Unity Candle together. It was a wonderful moment. And then Scott kissed the bride. yeah!The rest of the ceremony I barely remember. A few more great songs, some prayers, and a wonderful homily by Fr. Roland, in which he blessed Scott and I with a beautiful Crucifix. A few more kisses and then the mass was over. I wanted to Jig down the aisle, but I contained myself.







MR & MRS SCOTT GIROUARD!!

Our reception was great. At least Scott and I enjoyed ourselves. Our song, "Feels like Home", by Chantal Kreviazuk was how I felt at that moment, and every moment I have with Scott. He calms me. He balances me. He supports me. I am blessed to be married to him.







2 comments:

Jeanne Bailey said...

Reading this reminds me why we love you both so very much. It takes very special people to always see good things in all situations.
Mom & Dad Bailey

Mary said...

Congratulatioins!!! You sound truly happy and I am thrilled for you.
-Mary