Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hypothetical

So let's pretend. Let's pretend your kid(s) is heading into puberty. I realize most of my friends that read this have kids much younger than this stage, so fast-forward a few years. Puberty hits us all at different ages, correct? And in the end, there's no rule or big neon sign that let's us know in advance of when that time will arrive. But due to growth hormones in our milk and preservatives in most foods we eat, we, as parents, must realize that some time around 9 or 10, our kids will start showing signs of puberty. While hair may not grown on their face or on their legs, there are signs. And when those signs start to flash, we must take action, correct? Whether we are ready or not, we have to do what is right by our kids. So, hypothetically, if your kid is 3 weeks shy of 10 years old and has shown repeated signs of puberty, would you say it's time to take action? Or wait, maybe you should hold off because you feel your child is too young. And I'm NOT talking about a conversation about the birds and the bees here. I'm talking basic hygene. Use Q-tips after every shower to avoid wax build up, use nail clippers to cut fingernails on a regular basis, wash private areas better because their body is changing, and use deoderant if your body says USE DEODERANT!!! Who wants to have their kid be the stinky arm pitt kid? At least that's my philosophy. But, hypothetically, would you teach your kids how to deal with their changing body? I think most sane parents would. And you would adapt that "teaching" or that "conversation" to the child. Each child grows up differently, and sometimes their body grows up faster than their mindset, so you adapt how you teach. But I'd like to know, from you, my friends, would you make a call to your pediatrician if your child has stinky arm pitts in order to get the Doctor's approval for deoderant? Or would you have a discussion with your kid about hygene and go to Wal-mart and buy deoderant? Comments are welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha....stinky armpit kid. I know my niece has been wearing deodorant since 11. I remember her telling me about her needing deodorant. She was very adult about it. In fact, I think she liked the fact she was becoming an adult.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jaime, we are with you on this one! We made the decision to just go ahead and buy our soon to be 9 year old deodorant. (The stinky armpits weren't the only sign of puberty onset.) We (I) also spoke to him about the importance of washing certain areas with a little more care. He washes well, I must say, but that stinky armpit kid was living in our home; so, we did what we had to as parents! He's cool with it; makes him feel like a big man!!! Best of luck to you and enjoy the fun that is just beginning...happy to know I'm not alone!! :o)